8 ways to use a lime as a garnish
- Lime Zest Strips
- Candied Lime Zest
- Lime Twist
Lime Zest Strips How To:
- Use a zester to make long strokes down the lime, making medium sized strips.
- Or use a vegetable peeler to peel long strips of rind off the lime. Use a small paring knife to scrape the white away from the zest. Cut the zest into thin strips
- See Lime Zest Strips instructions. Continue by mincing the strips into very tiny pieces.
- Or use a grater to grate the outside of the lime
- See Lime Zest Strips instructions. The second way worls better for this garnish. Tie the lime strip into a knot.
Candied Lime Zest
- See Lime Zest Strips instructions. Bring a mixture of equal parts sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Boil for three minutes. Add lime zest strips to boiling mixture. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until strips are translucent. Place a metal sieve over a bowl and strain candied zest. Add extra sugar to a plastic bag and place the strips in the bag and shake until strips are well coated.
Lime Zest Twist
- Use a channel knife to remove a long strip from around the lime. Wrap around your finger or the handle of a wooden spoon to created the twist
- Cut the lime into slices widthwise.
- A different look may be added by using a channel knife to score the lime lengthwise all the way around before slicing.
- Cut the lime in half lengthwise. Place the two halves open side down. Slice in half again.
- Cut a few thin slices of lime and set aside. Cut a few lime zest strips and also set aside. Take the lime slices and cut them into thirds. To arrange the butterflies, take two of the thirds and place them where desired with the points together. Use two short zest strips to make the butterfly feelers.
- Coat with sugar to use on sweet treats!
These are great ideas for garnishing just using a lime! Perfect for Key Lime Pie, a cocktail, or any dish that it works with! Tickle your guests with some Key Lime Cupcakes with a sugared lime butterfly or Scallop Ceviche with a confetti lime zest garnish. Enjoy!